Skip to main navigation Skip to main content
Call us 1800 827 747 Make a claim



Commercial Motor Insurance

  • To put it really simply, Drive Pack Plus can be a one stop shop insurance policy for all your work vehicles. It doesn't matter whether you drive a truck, use a trailer, or operate machinery and equipment - this policy covers a lot. Your Drive Pack Plus policy also includes a full roadside assistance plan (so you can call us for help wherever, whenever) and Downtime Cover (so you've still got money coming in while your vehicle's getting repaired).

    And because we know what matters to businesses like yours, we also offer a range of useful add-on options including: Goods in Transit cover (to protect your cargo while you're on the road), Work Tools Cover (to cover you in the case of accidental damage or theft from locked vehicles) and even Public & Products Liability (to protect your business from legal claims). 

  • Yep, we sure do. Whether you're driving a truck or operating machinery, making sure the driver is well looked-after is our top priority. That's why many of our additional benefits are for the person in the driving seat.  From trauma counselling to help with cab fares to get you home, we've designed our policy to make life that little bit easier when things go wrong. 

  • Some things - like drivers - just get better with age (well, for the most part). That's why you'll notice some excesses attached to young or inexperienced drivers in your Truck Assist policy. You can find out whether these apply to you by reading the policy wording.  

  • Because we're truck and equipment specialists, we've made sure your standard truck insurance policy includes coverage for HIAB crane arms, tailgate loaders, extras and working accessories (like standard vehicle tools, tarps, and gates). Just make sure you include their value when nominating the value of your vehicle otherwise cover is up to $10,000. You can also choose to add Work Tools Cover to your policy as an optional extra to cover things like power tools, laptops, mobile phones and other tools of your trade not included in your main policy. 

  • 'Accessories' covers your big ticket items like ramps, rippers, chain trenchers, hiab crane arms and tailgate loaders. You know, stuff that's typically attached to, in or on your work vehicle. If you need cover for smaller portable tools and power tools, you'll need to arrange separate Work Tools Cover. The good news is, if eligible, you can easily add it on to your existing policy for a fee. Then you'll be covered for any accidental damage or theft to the tools of your trade (as well as electronic work equipment like laptops and mobile phones).

  • Well, Drive Pack Plus truck insurance is a bit of an all-rounder. Not only does your policy cover the costs for repairs to your work vehicle and any costs related to an accident, breakdown, or theft, it also includes the following as standard:

    • Comprehensive commercial motor cover for all of your work vehicles. We're talking trucks, trailers, equipment, plants and machinery, all under the one policy.
    • 24/7 roadside assistance with nationwide coverage - so when you break down, we've got your back.
    • Downtime Cover in the form of regular payments to help you cover costs while your vehicle gets repaired.

    You can also choose from optional extras like Goods in transit Cover, Work Tools Cover, and Public & Products Liability to beef up your policy even further. 

  • Drive a truck? Use a trailer? Operate machinery and equipment? If you or your team relies on work vehicles to do the job, you can contact a specialist insurance provider like ourselves. 

    Our Drive Pack Plus policy is packed full of features designed for hardworking businesses like yours.  Not only does it include comprehensive motor insurance for all your trucks, equipment and machinery (including damage caused by your registered vehicle), it can also come with roadside assistance, downtime cover, access to our Australia-wide specialist repair network and variable excess options. Plus, you can choose to pay by the month and beef up your policy with a range of add-ons which might be relevant to you like Goods in Transit Cover, Work Tools Cover and Public & Products Liability.

  • Our insurance policies aren't one-size-fits-all - and neither are our policy premiums. What you'll pay depends on the vehicle (or vehicles) you're insuring, along with a few other important factors. We'll need to know the type of truck, machinery or equipment and its value, where you keep it and what you use it for, as well as how far you're driving it. We'll also factor in things like your claims history and business experience. And if you decide to take out any optional extras (such as Work Tools Cover or Goods in Transit Cover) that will also affect your total premium cost.

    The easiest way to find out is by using our online quoting system - it's smooth, simple and fast and will tell you what you need to know in just a few clicks.

  • Good question. To put it in simple terms, the Sum Insured is the maximum amount we'll pay for a specific insured item (after any excesses have been applied).  How you work it out really depends on the age of the vehicle you want to insure. (Heads up: vehicle age is based on the initial registration date while mobile plant is based on manufacture date).

    For work vehicles up to three years old, make sure the sum insured includes the cost of replacing your truck or equipment - including on-road costs like your rego. The only exceptions to this are mobile plant (up to two years old), or concrete agitator trucks, stock/tanker type trailers or other specialist application body types (up to one year old).

    Got a work vehicle that's over three years old? The sum insured should equate to the market value, taking into account things like the condition of your truck, how many kms are on the clock, its age, body type and so on. If you're not sure, check out a few truck or mobile plant websites to see what the going rate is. 

    Don't forget to include any Extras and Working Accessories in your totals - we're talking your standard vehicle tools, tarps, gates and bigger ticket items like HIAB crane arms and tailgate loaders. 

  • Unlike some insurers, we don't expect you to list everything (who's got time for that?) As far as we're concerned, if it's part of your truck it's covered. All we ask is that you make sure your Sum Insured reflects the value of all your attachments and fitted accessories. 

  • First and foremost, you need to make sure you're always acting lawfully and responsibly, and that you have the right level of experience. In addition, you're responsible for checking that the truck itself is roadworthy, that you (or anybody else driving your truck) have the appropriate licence class and for ensuring that you tell us about any change in driver circumstances like driving offence history or suspension of licence.

    Not sure which licence class is right for your truck? Get in touch with your state road authority to find out.

  • Drive Pack Plus policies now include roadside assistance, with a $1500 limit as standard and the option to increase it to $2500. If you already have a separate roadside plan, you can add it to your Drive Pack Plus plan to get a higher combined limit. 

  • We're specialists in insuring work vehicles - so that means we've got a pretty comprehensive list of vehicles we insure. You can expect your Drive Pack Plus policy to cover off most rigid trucks and trailers, equipment, machinery and small mobile plant items - as well as some Primer mover operations. Want to see the full list? Just pick up the phone and speak to a member of the team. 

  • It's unlikely. If you need to move dangerous goods, we'd recommend having a chat with your insurance broker to set up appropriate cover. Don't already have a broker? You can find someone through

    Alternatively, your broker may be able to place cover through our parent, NTI (subject to underwriting guidelines). 

  • Nope! But if you've got a fleet of ten or more, you might find it helpful to chat to your insurance broker about what type of policy is going to be best for your business. Check out if you don't already have someone acting for you.  

Public & Products Liability Insurance

  • Liability insurance is all about protecting your business against compensation claims.  Whether you're at your depot, working on site or at someone's property, if a member of the public is injured or their property gets damaged in the course of you doing your job, there could be a risk of legal action. Liability insurance covers you for things like legal defence and representation costs, plus the cost of settling the third party's claim (if their claim is successful). All in all, it can be pretty handy for situations where you are covered. If you think you'll need liability insurance, just add it to your work vehicle insurance policy and we'll handle the rest. 

  • It's important to know that Public and Products Liability Insurance only covers you against claims made by members of the public. That means it doesn't cover things like damage to any property you own, injuries to you or your employees (that's what your workers compensation insurance is for) or liabilities related to a registered motor vehicle, or 

    It also doesn't include Professional Indemnity - to set this up we'd suggest having a chat with your insurance broker or talking to a specialist Professional Indemnity insurance provider. 

    For a full list of what is and isn't covered, make sure you have a read through all the terms and conditions of your policy (especially the exclusions in the PDS). That way you know exactly what you're signing up for and there won't be any surprises if you do need to make a claim further down the track. 

  • There's no requirement that says you have to have liability insurance. However, without liability insurance you may end up footing the bill for any legal costs incurred by you or the other party - and that's before you have to settle any claims out of your own pocket.

  • We can't advise you on the right limit for your liability insurance, but there are a few different factors to consider - like the industry you work in, what kind of contracts you hold, and how likely it is that a serious incident could occur. We can provide cover with $10M, $20M and $30M limits. Think you might need a higher limit? Your best bet is to chat to an insurance broker about your options. If you don't already have one, check out

  • You're only covered for the specific activities included in your policy documents, so if you notice a discrepancy between what it says on your policy and what your business actually does, make sure you let us know as soon as you can.  

    The same goes for if your business is involved in any activities that are excluded by your policy. Check your policy wording for the list of excluded works to be on the safe side.

Goods in Transit Insurance

  • Put simply, Goods in Transit insurance is there to cover you for loss or accidental damage that happens to your cargo while you're moving it from A to B. If you use a work vehicle to transport goods, supplies or equipment, you might want to know that the contents of your vehicle are covered during transit - whether they belong to you or someone else. 

  • The simple answer is: because they're not covered under most property insurance and standard motor vehicle policies. That means if you're transporting goods from A to B and they get damaged or destroyed on route, or someone drops an item during loading or unloading, you could end up having to foot the bill.  

    Goods in Transit cover protects you against these types of situations -  so if your business involves moving cargo of any kind (yours or someone else's) it just makes good sense.

  • We cover a whole range of items - from clothing, fabric and textiles, plumbing and hardware supplies to electronics, computer equipment and machinery. Just give us a call if you want to double check what's covered before you take out a policy.

  • Good question. We do have a few exclusions it's important to be aware of. You can check out the full list of exclusions in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) or on the Policy Schedule.

  • Transit starts from the moment the goods are picked up and continues all the way through to delivery at their destination - so if something happens while you're on route, your goods are insured against loss or accidental damage.  Transit also includes any temporary storage that might be needed during the movement of goods (for example, for the purposes of transhipment, handling or consolidation/deconsolidation) provided it doesn't exceed seven days in total. 

    It's important to know that your Goods in Transit cover only applies when you're transporting goods to a destination outside of your premises.

  • Our Goods in Transit insurance won't cover you for extended or nominated storage periods. If that's something you think you might need, have a chat to your insurance broker about what products might be right for you. Don't have a broker? Check out

  • We can only cover goods while they're in transit within Australia. If you're importing or exporting goods outside of the country, you're best option is to speak to a specialist insurance broker. They'll be able to advise you on the best product for your business. If you don't already have a broker, visit 

  • As a rule of thumb, for goods sold or purchased just insure the goods for the invoice value. No invoice available? Insure them for what it would cost to repair or reinstate them to their previous condition.  The main thing is making sure you're not out of pocket if something happens - so always check that the Sum Insured on your policy is enough to cover the maximum loss you could incur. 

Work Tools Insurance

  • If you keep stuff in your work vehicle - like portable power tools and surveying equipment, handheld equipment, phones, laptops and so on - you want to know you're covered in the event it gets stolen or damaged in an accident.  That's where Work Tools Cover comes in. It's designed to give you peace of mind and make it easy to replace or repair the tools of your trade if the worst happens.  

  • From power tools and handheld equipment to laptops and mobile phones, if you rely on your work tools to carry out your job, it's important to make sure they're protected. With Work Tools cover, you're covered for loss, damage or theft from your work vehicle or premises. 

  • It's a pretty extensive list, but to sum up, Work Tools cover includes any portable items you own and use mainly for business purposes. We're talking things like Portable Power Tools (eg. generators, compressors, cement mixers and jack hammers), Portable Electronics (like mobile phones, laptops and tablets) and Portable Surveying Equipment (such as GPS units and laser levellers). 

    Couple of important points to note here though: cover for Electronics and Survey Equipment only applies if it's included on your policy schedule, and some items (like desktop computers and their accessories) are excluded. Check out the Product Disclosure Statement for the full list of exclusions.

  • It all comes down to the value of each item. Smaller tools that aren't that expensive to replace don't have to be listed individually on your policy. You can just group them together as Unspecified - provided each item doesn't exceed $2000 in replacement value.

    Specified refers to any bigger ticket items you want to include in your policy - basically any tool individually valued at over $2000. These items need to be individually listed on your policy. The maximum value you can insure a Specified Item for is $10,000.

  • If you're travelling within Australia and your truck is in transit or parked on site, you're covered. Remember that to be insured against theft your tools need to be locked within a secured building, vehicle or toolbox permanently fixed to your vehicle.

Roadside Assistance

  • Yep! We can sort out cover online for up to 10 trucks at a time. For fleets of 10+, give us a call on 1800 827 747 and we'll create a custom plan to suit you. 

  • Thanks to our national network of specialist service providers, our roadside assistance network covers every state and territory in the country. Even if you break down in a remote area, we will endeavour to get a service provider to assist you (although it might take us a little longer than normal, we're only human.)

  • We'll never leave you hanging on the side of the road without a clue when help is on its way. Mates don't do that - and neither do we. No matter where you are, we'll always give you an ETA, taking into account stuff like your truck's location, the time of day and what the traffic's like. And if things change? We'll let you know as soon as we can.  

  • Our mobile mechanics will always do their best to get you back on the road pronto - but in the event your truck needs be towed, we'll send it to the closest Truck Assist service provider or customer depot. And because our network is made up exclusively of specialist truck repairers, you can feel confident your wheels will be well looked after.

  • Your agreement covers you for 12 months and can be paid upfront with a credit card or in monthly instalments by Visa, Mastercard or direct debit - whatever works best for you. Set it up and pay online in just a few clicks, or give us a call and do it over the phone.

  • No problem. Just make sure you've got all the relevant info to hand, like the truck's rego, and you're good to go.

  • All of our roadside assistance plans run for 12 month period. You can choose to pay upfront by credit card or in monthly instalments via direct debit or your Visa or Mastercard. Pay online or over the phone - whatever works for you.  

  • Sometimes things change - we get it. If you need to cancel your roadside assistance plan, you can let us know by emailing or calling 1800 827 747.  

  • One of the reasons so many Aussie businesses trust us with their truck roadside assistance is because we've got the most qualified and comprehensive repair network in the country. When your truck's broken down, we'll make sure it's looked after by the best in the business. There are one or two exceptions to this rule, but for the most part, we've got you covered.

  • Absolutely. If it's easier to get your message across in a language other than English, just let us know.  Our recognised professional interpreter service means we can help you out in 160 different languages.

  • We'll never leave a driver stranded - that's not how we roll. Just let our call centre team know and they'll have a taxi out to you in no time. Just be ready to cover the fare at the time of service.  

  • We're used to dealing with small businesses, including sole traders, so it's no problem if you're not registered. You can buy cover under a business name, a personal name, a stage name... (ok maybe not the last one but you get the idea).

  • Definitely not. We're all about making life easier, which is why cover is based on the vehicle, not the person behind the wheel. No matter who drives your truck, you're golden.

  • Sure thing: we're just glad you're back on the road! Let us know as soon as you can and we'll cancel things our end.

  • Changed your rego? No dramas. Just email us at with your previous registration plate number along with your new one.

  • Your roadside assistance plan doesn't cover you for theft or damage to tools - keeping them safe is up to the driver or owner of the tools. 

  • Absolutely - when you're stuck, you're stuck! If you can't drive your truck because of an issue with an accessory, we'll do our best to tow you to the nearest service provider.

  • Good question. It all depends on the situation. If the destination of your load falls outside of your towing limit, or it's heading in a completely different direction to where we're we're sending your truck, then any additional costs incurred by the drop-off will need to be agreed to and paid for by the driver at the time.  

  • Sure. An Excessive User is a customer who makes repeated requests for assistance for the same service in a short period of time (like where there are more than 4 breakdowns in a year).

    An example might be someone who calls us every Monday for a jumpstart because the interior light or the portable fridge was left on all weekend (again). But if you've had multiple breakdowns for unrelated issues  - like a flat tyre, a broken windscreen, a jumpstart and a lockout - there's no need to worry (although with luck like that, don't expect to win the lotto any time soon). 

  • Yep! Just give us a call and we'll arrange for someone to come out to you and attempt to open your truck. (Your driver may have to sign an indemnity releasing the Service Provider from any liability if they cause any damage in the process). 

    While we'll do our best to get you back in ourselves, if we have to incur costs outside Your Roadside Entitlements (like calling out a third party locksmith for example) you'll be responsible for paying those extra costs. 

  • If you're worried about getting a surprise bill, there's no need. As long as the repair's within the limits of entitlement as outlined by your plan, how it happened doesn't matter. Getting you back on the road again is our main prioirity.

  • Some manufacturers include comprehensive roadside assistance, but others only offer access to a network (and that can come with a heap of extra costs). We've got partnerships with Isuzu, Hino, Western Star, MAN, Dennis Eagle, Sea Electric and Foton EV - but we're always adding to this list. To make sure you're covered and not out-of-pocket, it's best to check with your manufacturer direct.

  • It depends on your manufacturer. Some brands will let you purchase roadside assistance when the complimentary cover provided on new vehicles runs out.  But these offers can be limited by the age of your truck, so check your manufacturer’s website for details to be on the safe side.  You can purchase extended roadside assistance cover directly through Truck Assist if your manufacturer doesn't offer this option.

  • Absolutely. If your manufacturer's complimentary cover doesn't meet your needs, there's nothing stopping you from taking out a second roadside assistance plan with Truck Assist. If we already have a partnership with your manufacturer, we'll even combine the two plans to increase your limits and benefits. It's pretty much a win-win. 

  • If we haven't carried out the repairs, you won't get reimbursed for any costs later (unless we've made an agreement with you beforehand).  If we come across any challenges sourcing a service provider in your region, we'll work with you to find a solution within our national network.


  • Don't worry, we won't ask you for your life story! All you need to provide is a few basic details of any claims involving your trucks and equipment in the last three years. The same goes for if you're wanting to take out Work Tools Cover or Goods in Transit Cover.  

    If you want to add Public & Products Liability insurance to your quote, we'll need five years of your claims history.  

  • Lodging a claim in now easier than ever thanks to our 24/7 online portal. Just make sure you have your policy number and date of the incident, along with a summary of what happened and third party details (if applicable). Or, if you'd rather speak to someone, you can take us through it over the phone by calling 1800 827 747.  

  • The sooner the better! If you've had an accident or need to make an extras claim, get in touch asap and we'll get onto it as fast as we can.

  • All of our insurance products are provided by NTI - which means your claim will be handled by NTI's award-winning claims team. Once you've lodged your claim, you'll get appointed a dedicated claims consultant whose job is to get you back on the road again as fast as possible.

  • Because we're specialists in truck, equipment and machinery, we don't trust your vehicle repairs to just anyone. Our Authorised Repair Network is made up of premium repairers with specialist skills and a truckload of experience fixing vehicles like yours. Find out more about our Authorised Repair Network here

  • Absolutely. We're so confident in the quality of workmanship and materials used by our repairers, we guarantee any repairs for the life of your vehicle (even if you no longer own it). Can't say fairer than that!

  • If you're not 100% happy with the outcome of your claim or the service we've provided, you've got the right to reply.  You can lodge a complaint over the phone or in writing through our dispute resolution system and we'll do our best to resolve it for you. You can read about our complaints process at

  • It depends on the type of claim. If your claim relates to your Goods in Transit Cover, Work Tools Cover or Public and Products Liability, you'll have to pay an excess every time a claim is made. But if you've been in a collision and it wasn't your fault, we might be able to waive your excess fee if:

    • You've provided sufficient proof and we agree you or your driver weren't at fault
    • You can identify and provide sufficient details of the third party driver who is at fault (name, telephone number, current address, and/or drivers licence number) and the third party vehicle registration
    • The amount of Your claim is greater than the applicable excess(es)

    The excess won't be waived if the other driver disputes who's at fault, or there's only windscreen or window glass damage and you haven't taken out the "Windscreen - One Excess Free" extension.

  • No! We're all about making stuff easy at Truck Assist, which is why you only need to complete 1 claim form no matter which products on your policy are involved.  So say for example you were stopped at a red light and were hit in the rear, causing damage to your truck AND your work tools, you will only need to complete the one claim form covering both the Commercial Motor and Work Tools products.

General FAQs

  • Need to add another vehicle or change your details? No worries. Just log-in to our online self-service portal and you can make policy changes quickly and easily, any time. Prefer to speak to a human? Just give us a call on 1800 827 747.

  • Got your ABN and rego number ready to go? Then we'll be able to get you a quote in minutes. 

  • All you need is your ABN, email address, mobile number and your truck rego. 

  • Sorry to hear we can't help you out! Some businesses need additional advice and expert guidance - and that means going through an insurance broker. On those rare occasions where we have to refuse cover, we'll do our best to explain why before directing you to a broker marketplace like 

    If you'd like more info, feel free to give Customer Care a buzz and we'll run through the details with you over the phone. 

  • No dramas. Just head to to check your ABN now, or look out for the link in our online quote system which will take you there. Problem solved.

  • There are a couple of different ways to pay your truck insurance premium. You can pay upfront and in full or choose to make monthly deductions from your nominated bank account or credit card.  Just choose whatever works best for you and your business.

  • It's pretty straightforward. We work out your monthly payment amount by dividing your total truck insurance premium by 12. Then, we debit your nominated account once a month for twelve months. You can expect your first payment to go out within 48 hours.

  • No. We know that for small businesses, paying by instalments is good for your cashflow - so we don't penalise you if you want to pay monthly.

  • As long as there's no total loss claim on your policy, you can cancel your truck insurance any time and we'll give you a pro rata refund on your premium. So, for example, if you pay your premium at the start of the month and then cancel a few days later, we'll refund you for the remaining days. But, if your vehicle is written off (we call that a 'total loss" in insurance-speak) the balance of your unpaid premium for the year will be deducted from your settlement payout. 

  • Yep, you bet. Assuming there's no total loss claim on your policy, your instalments will stop once you've cancelled.

  • Changed bank account or got a new credit card? No problem. Just call Customer Care on 1800 827 747 and we'll take care of it for you.

  • We're all about making stuff easy - so there's just the one number you need to remember. Whether you need roadside assistance or you've been involved in an accident, just call 1800 T ASSIST (1800 827 747) and we'll get you the help you need, stat. 

  • We get it - no one wants to spend hours online or on the phone trying to get a quote. That's why we've made our online quote process as quick and painless as possible. If you've got a few basic details to hand, it won't take more than a few minutes to get you the info you need.

Online Portal FAQs

  • Once you purchase a policy that is approved by us, we will automatically set you up with an account at the end of your transaction. All you need to do to complete the account set up is enter a code to verify the account, create a password and you're all set! If you don't verify your account at this time, you'll be able to complete the process via the 'Go to Portal' button in your Policy details email sent after purchase. If you have any issues, you can call Customer Care on 1800 827 747 and we'll be able to help.

  • If you forget your password, you can easily change it via the 'Forgot your password?' link on the account login page and follow the prompts.

  • You can update your password at any time by clicking on the 'Forgot your password?' link on the account login page and following the prompts.

  • With our online portal, we've made managing your insurance policy as quick and painless as possible. You can now lodge a claim, access your documents or make changes to your cover any time, anywhere. If you have any issues, or would prefer to discuss your changes with a person, you can contact Customer Care on 1800 827 747 9am - 5pm AEST Monday - Friday.

  • Whilst there are a number of changes you can make in your Online Portal, there are some details that need to be updated by our Customer Care team. These include updating your name, postal address and email address. If you need to update any of these details, contact Customer Care on 1800 827 747 and we'll sort it for you.

  • Once you have created a password for your account, you can access it at any time via the online portal login page.

  • If you are experiencing any login or technical issues with your online portal, contact Customer Care (9am-5pm Mon - Fri AEST) on 1800 827 747 and we'll be able to help.